The Agridia Ecclesiastical Museum is located in the village of Agridia in the Limassol district. It is housed in the Prophet Elias Church in the village.

The items on the display are remarkable and include items of the old Prophet Elias church, from the end of 16th or beginning of the 17th century which was demolished in order to build the new church.

 There are also items from the surrounding chapels such as the Archangel Michael Chapel, Agiou Georgiou Chapel, and Agia Paraskevi Chapel. Unfortunately these chapels do not exist today.

The display items of the Ecclesiastical Museum are the following:

  • The outstanding iconostasis at the end of the 16th and 17th century.
  • The icon of Agia Paraskevi of the 16th century. This icon represented the Church of Cyprus in exhibitions abroad, with the most recent exhibitions in Paris and New York in the 90’s.
  • Silver chalices, the Holy Tray and cherubim of 1878.
  • Ecclesiastical manuscripts and early printed books, one of them printed during the 15th century.
  • Remarkable icons, utensils and vestments

With the construction of the new iconostasis, the old  one was thrown away, and had already been in the courtyard for two years until it was accidentally found. It was collected by an Antiquity Maintainer, Kosta Gerasimou and his team. It was then put back together and was embellished with the rest of the exhibits which were in the church.

On the 22nd of September 1996, the Museum was inaugurated by the Metropolite of Kyrenia. It must be mentioned that the project occurred with the initiative and financing of the Agridia Expatriates Association “Prophet Elias”. The current museum will be housed in a safe museum area along with the Museum of Folk Art in the future.

Agridia Ecclesiastical Museum photos: 
agridia church museum
agridia church museum
  • agridia church museum
  • agridia church museum limassol
  • church museum agridia
Agridia Ecclesiastical Museum location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Teisia tis Madaris Nature Trail

Location: Chandria - Polistypou District: Nicosia Starting Point: Near the Madaris Fire lookout Station, near the point where the Dox...

Agia Kyriaki Chapel - Agros Village

The Agia Kyriaki Chapel is located 5 kilometres northeast of the village of Agros in the Limassol district. It is a church similar to tha...

Agros - Kato Mylos Nature Trail

Location: Agros District: Limassol Starting Point: Near the Rodon Hotel at Agros (north) Length: 6 kilometres Time: 2 hours hi...

Byzantine Church – Museum of the Great Agros Monastery

In 1894 the historic monastery of the Great Agros, was destroyed. According to tradition it was built by monks who came from Kizino of Asia ...

The Olive-mill of the Church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos - Agros Village

Traditional Olive Mill In 1930 the Olive mill was transferred from the basement of the all-girls school of Agros, to the traditional hou...

Frangoulidi Museum - Agros Village

The Frangoulidi Museum is situated in the village of Agros , in the Limassol district. The Museum  began its operation in 2004 and is n...

Pages