Error message

Warning: array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in theme_image_formatter() (line 605 of /home/eliasdem/cyprusisland.net/modules/image/image.field.inc).

The Museum of Byzantine Icons is located in Omodos in the Limassol district and is  housed in the Synodicon of the Monastery, which features amazing beauty, a wooden ceiling, made with splendid artwork, made up of thousands of small pieces of walnut, harmonically places together.  The Museum of Byzantine Icons was founded in October of 1960, aiming to maintain and protect the old icons of the Monastery.

In it are byzantine icons from ancient times, priceless, such as ancient wooden carved and golden lanterns, which all come from the Monastery of the Timios Stavros in Omodos. All the icons are maintained by donations given by the residents and other friends of Omodos.

The following icons are especially mentioned:

1. Agios Philippos 83x64 cm.

Large, semi- destroyed icon, which is dated to 1528 A.D. It presents the princess Eleonora to the right, with red clothing and an embroidered cover on her head, decorated with stones dedicated the icon to the Saint.

 

2. Ioannis Prodromos 100x37 cm.

This icons is of 1570 A.D. He is straight, full-length in the picture, with a portrait of the donor at the right part of it.

 

3. Agios Ioannis Theologos 106x53 cm.

This icon is of the 15th-16the century with a later overpainting. The saint has a stylus in his right hand and the Gospel in his left.

 

4.Apostle Peter 80x63 cm.

It is the first half of the 16th century. Apostle Peter is on a bust with keys and a scroll on his left hand, and gives his blessing with his right.

 

5. Apostle Paul 63x50 cm.

He is on a bust with his left hand closed and gives his blessing with the right hand.

 

6. Archangel Gabriel 80x65 cm.

It is of the 16th century. He is on a bust and his right hand holds a scroll.

 

7. Universal Exaltation of the Timios Stavros 85x63 cm.

It is dated from 1664 A.D. Saint Konstantine and Agia Eleni are in the centre. They are holding the Timio Stavro. This is a scene from the search of the cross. On the four sides there is the history and scenes of the wonders of the cross.

 

8. Agios Philippos 101x54 cm.

It is dated from 1773 A.C. The characteristic in the icon is the face of the Mitropolite of Paphos Panaretos, which is painted under the left hand side of the icon and offers the Holly cranium of the saint in a golden case.  

 

9. Agios Ioannis o Prodromos 110x48 cm. 

It is dated from 1830 A.D. The saint is shown in full-length with wings, and holds an open scroll in his right hand and an icon with the Crucifixion in his left hand.

 

10. Christ in a Panel icon 70x106cm.

It is dated from the 18th century.

Museum of Byzantine Icons photos: 
byzantine icons museum
byzantine icons museum
  • byzantine icons museum
  • museum of byzantine icons
  • museum of byzantine icons
  • omodos byzantine museum
Museum of Byzantine Icons location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Omodos Gallery

The Omodos Gallery is located in the Omodos village in Limassol district. It is one of the most recent additions to the village. It is the c...

Ecclesiastical Treasury Museum

The Ecclesiastical Treasury Museum is located in the village of Omodos in the Limassol district. As all museums it is housed in two renovate...

Museum of Struggle - Omodos

The Cypriot Fight during the British colonial government, known as the EOKA Struggle  began on the 1st of April 1955 and was ended with...

Zivania Museum - Vasa Koilaniou

The Zinania Museum is located in the village of Vasa Koilaniou, at the foot of the Troodos Mountain range in the Limassol district. It is...

Argyrides Vasa Winery - Vasa Koilaniou

The Argyrides Vasa Winery is located at the entrance of the Vasa Koilaniou village in the Limassol district. Before even trying the wine ...

Potamiou Bridge, Limassol

Potamiou Bridge is situated in the village of Potamiou in the  Limassol district. More specifically it is located northwest of Limassol...

Pages