The old, tall bridge of Xyliatos is located in the village of Xyliatos in the Nicosia district. The bridge was built during the decade of 1930-1940. The constructor of the project was the Forest Department. The aim of the project was the perfection of the old forest road of Agia Marina Xyliatou – Lagouderon –Saranti. The reason this road needed to be perfected was due to the correct management of the road in the valley of Xyliatos-Lagouderon , of the Adelfoi Forest. It was the only road in the area and it served the following activities:
- Fast access to the heart of the forest for extinguishing fires
- Timber marketing , which was exported in the area and transferred to other areas in Cyprus
- Transfer of coal from Madari were it was made to the various services of the British settlement
- Protection of the forest for illegal woodcutting
- As well as making the activities of the forest department easier, the residents of Xyliatos were also assisted in their subsistence.
The bridge was therefore cut from the road network from the decade of 1980, when the road was straightened. It was then beautified and remodelled as it is today, during the period of 2014-2015 with funds from the Agriculture Development Programme 2007-2013.
Old Tall Bridge of Xyliatos photos:
Old Tall Bridge of Xyliatos location map: