Church of Saint Lazarus (Agios Lazaros) - Larnaca

The church of Agios Lazaros, the protector of the Larnaca district is built on the coastal zone of the town and forms one of the most important monuments of Cyprus.

Agios Lazaros Church is situated in the centre of Larnaca and is the primary place of worship of Agios Lazaros in Cyprus. It is dated in the early 10th century and is one of the most significant Byzantine monuments of Cyprus. It was built by the Byzantine Emperor Leo VI in exchange for the transfer of the Saint’s relic to Constantinople.

After Agios Lazaros came to Cyprus her was ordained as the Episcope of Kiti by Apostles Paul and Varnavas , where he remained until his death. The church was built on the tomb of the saint, during the 10th century sponsored by the Emperor Leonta the VI, as a return for the transfer of the relics of Saint from Kitio to Istanbul.

The church is completely built by stone, it has three rooms with three domes on the middle room. The three domes do not exist today as they were demolished during the Turkish occupation. According to tradition a Turkish officer ordered the demolition of the domes due to the fact that when he entered to port of Larnaca he mistook the domes as being a Turkish temple and he prayed. According to another version, the domes where ruined by an earthquake however it is unknown when it occurred. In 1734 when the Russian monk visited the church the domes had already been destroyed.

The crypt with the tomb of Saint Lazarus is located beneath the church. Saint Lazarus was considered to be a good friend of Jesus Christ and who was also resurrected from the dead. Agios Lazaros came to Cyprus, to ancient Kition, in 33 AD and became Kition’s its first Bishop and Patron Saint. The existing church of Agios Larazos was built over the remains of two earlier churches.Archaeological excavations in the enclosure and inside the church also revealed sarcophagus made of marble, box-shaped tombs and other artefacts.

During the 15th-16th century, a gothic porch was added along the church’s south wall and the current bell tower was built during the 17th century. When the ottomans conquered the island, the church was turned into a mosque and in 1589 it was sold back to the orthodox community for the amount of 3.000 aspres.

.The architectural type of the temple is complex crossed with a dome. During the ruling of the Franks, the southern part of the temple was built and it is believed that during the same period the temple acted as a Catholic monastery. During the Turkish occupation, when the temple was turned into an Islamic temple, the bell tower and three domes were destroyed. The new bell tower was rebuilt in 1857.

The Agios Lazaros church holds six precious and ancient icons which may have belonged to an older iconostasis, one of Agios Lazaros as an Episcope (of the mid-16th century) , and one of the resurrection of Lazaros an equally old, Byzantine popular style icon.

What is also remarkable about the church is the fact that there are 4 other icons which are located on the wooden templo and decorate the central dome: of the Virgin Mary with Russian decoration, the resurrection of Lazaros, saint Nicholas and saint George with scenes from his life, on the perimeter of the main display, a piece of artwork of Iacovou Moskou in 1717.

It seems that earlier on, the complete temple was covered in hagiographies, due to the fact that until the previous century there were a few hagiographies on the main dome. The hagiographies of the temple were destroyed by an unknown reason during the long extent of existence of the temple. In another version the hagiographies were destroyed due to the moisture which exists in the area of Larnaca and more specifically in the Skala area, which has nearly the same altitude as that of the sea.

The iconostasis is golden plated and accommodates amazing icons of byzantine art which exists today. A masterpiece of wooden art is the altar, which was made in 1773 as well as the Episcopal throne on which there is an icon of Agios Lazaros as an Episcope dated from 1734.

Next to the church of Agios Lazaros is the Byzantine Museum which accommodates various exhibitions which have come from the temple.

Location: Plateia Agiou Lazarou, Larnaka

Additional Information
- Operating period: All year round
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday: 08:00 - 12:30, 14:30 - 17:30 | Saturday, Sunday: 08:00 - 17:30
- Tel: +357 24 652 498

Church of Saint Lazarus (Agios Lazaros) - Larnaca photos: 
  • Church of Saint Lazarus
  • Church of Saint Lazarus
  • Church of Saint Lazarus
Church of Saint Lazarus (Agios Lazaros) - Larnaca video: 
Church of Saint Lazarus (Agios Lazaros) - Larnaca location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Agios Lazaros Byzantine Museum

The Agios Lazaros Byzantine Museum is located in the Agios Lazaros church of the Larnaca district. It is housed in one of the cells of th...

Larnaca Municipal Gardens

The Larnaca Municipal Gardens are located next to the Municipal Theatre and the Municipal Library of Larnaca. The area which has been ac...

Helicopter Wreck

The Helicopter Shipwreck is located in the Larnaca district. This diving site is located open of Larnaca and offers the ability of observ...

Zenon Mall – Larnaca

The Zenon Mall will be located in the Larnaca district, outside the town centre. It will be a two story shopping mall, about 45,000 squar...

Agiou Lazarou Church - Larnaca

The church of Agiou Lazarou is built on the beach zone of Larnaca and is a worshiping centre of Agiou Lazarou in Cyprus. The relationship of...

Kamares Aqueduct - Larnaca

The old Aqueduct of Larnaca is located in the Kamares area of the Larnaca district. It was built in 1750 by the Ottoman governor of Larnaca ...

Pages