Kokkinoatonis Mine is located in the semi-mountainous village of Mathiatis, a few kilometres south of the Nicosia district.

More specifically it is situated north of the community of Mathiati and was the largest gold, silver, copper and iron mine with the largest activity in the country during the period 1935 until 1944.

Today, there is a lake at the Kokkinoantonis mine which was created in the crater, gaining great geological value. The mine has produced great international interest and forms an attraction point for universities abroad. The particular area is filled with antiquities, with the most well-known being the Kefali tou Vachou ( 2nd and 1st  centuries B.C), located in the Archaeological Museum.

The community of Mathiati has taken action for the recovery and the emergence of two of the mines and their association with other historical monuments in the region.

Kokkinoantonis Mine photos: 
kokkinoantonis mine cyprus
kokkinoantonis mine cyprus
  • kokkinoantonis mine cyprus
  • kokkinoantonis mine nicosia
Kokkinoantonis Mine location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Agiou Mina Monastery

The monastery of Agiou Mina is built at a mountain area of the Larnaca district, at the borders of the Vavla village near the river banks of...

Apostolou Louka Church, Orounda

The Apostolou Louka Chruch is situated in the village of Orounda in the Nicosia district. More specifically it is located next to the primar...

Orounda Village

Orounda village is one of the most beautiful villages in the Nicosia district, and is about 36 kilometres from the town of Nicosia. It is bu...

Peristerona Morphou

Peristerona is a village about 32 kilometres west of the Nicosia capital, at the foot of the Troodos mountain range, at the Morphou Valley. ...

Apostle Varnava and Ilariona Church - Peristerona Village

The church of the Apostles Varnava and Ilariona is located in the Peristerona Village in the Nicosia district. Along with the church of A...

Kato Moni Village

According to Nearchos Klirides, the name of the village shows that the area previously had a monastery and that at about 3 kilometers southw...