Chloraka is built to the west of Paphos and is located at an altitude of 50 metres from the sea.
It is located at a valley with a view towards the horizon of the sea which is lost in the Mediterranean Sea. On the other side where there are mountains, houses were built from east to west, where the neighbouring villages of Emba, Lemba and Kissonerga are.
It is a place with beautiful beaches and intense opposites. With old and modern buildings, natural environment and culture which combines Greece, Europe and Middle East with hotels, restaurants , bars , coffee shops as well as hospitable residents. Its main characteristics are its beaches with their secluded rocks, the clear blue waters and its golden beaches. The whole village is a balcony to the Mediterranean with rocky slopes, tremith trees and green fields. It is a perfect location which never loses its charm. It is a decoration with a lot of history and famous people.
The name Chloraka can be found in Venetian maps dated to 1400. Verbal sources inform us that it was previously known as Prastiorizo or Praskiouro which mean green tail. This came from the shape that the houses formed on the edge of the valley, while its base had land where trees were planted and that created a green tail.
As the community became more populated, many residents did not want to ruin the prosperous land towards the sea, so they built houses further up where the vegetation was always soft , which in Greek is chloro . Therefore the name of the village was then changed into Chloraka.
The first residents were shepherds and farmers who built their farms on the edge in order to watch the sea for pirates and Sarakineans so that they could have time to hide their belongings.
In concern to the history of the community there is no information to take us back in time as nobody left any written work and those that are already known have been passed on from generation to generation from word of mouth.
The first time that any information was recorded was in 2003 by the author Christo Mavresi, who wrote a book titled “Chloraka, a historical and cultural study”. In his book he mentions, “Chloraka was a continuous community which existed in the area.
Pre-Christianic tombs were found by the name of Ellinospilioi , meaning Greek caves and other archaeological items such as tools and vases. These witness that the community was very old and dated back to the 4th century. It is almost certain that the prosperous part of the village was ruled by the Kingdom of Paphos during antiquity. Remains from the Byzantine and medieval years have also been found. During the ruling of the Franks, Chloraka was a feud. During this period is possibly when the village name was changed.
It is obvious that the history of Chloraka began from the Stone Age, however it was something small and not important for any historian to pay attention to. In written work we can find an incident written by the priest Machera Grigrio in 1945, about an incident which occurred at the open sea of Chloraka. In 1810 a passenger ship full of rich passengers was passing by in order to go to the Holly Land. A storm occurred, the ship sank and all the passengers died. The area where they sank is now known as Dimma and is officially written on all maps. Today the ship Agios Dimitrios is stuck in the rocks of that area and can be seen by ship or plane.
Agios Ipatios Chapel
The Saint is celebrated on the 31st of March. Near an old fountain there was a stone and a candle, where the ancestors used to bring their children had problems walking. It is said that if they walked around the rock the Saint would help them walk. The chapel was built with a donation from Mr. Yiannaki Aristodimou.
Agios Efrem Chapel
The chapel began being built in 2001 by Tefkros Louloundis. It was built near the chapel of Agios Nikolaos and near the community cemetery. It was completed in 2003.
Arhcangelos Michael Chapel
The chapel is of a royal architecture without a dome. It was on private property of the family of Leonidas Christodoulou.
Saint George Chapel
The chapel of Saint George was built in 1961, and is of Byzantine architecture. It is located about 200 metres from the sea, at the location Alyki where the army leader Georgios Grivas Digenis arrived at in 1954. After suggesting the idea to Papakosta Leonida, Zina Canther donated the money to construct the chapel in dedication to the army leader.
Agios Nikolaos Chapel
Agios Nikolaos chapel was built during the 12th century and is of Byzantine architecture. It is built on a hill in order to face the sea. Because the chapel was on a cliff the residents built a wall for protection. However the wall kept falling on its own.
Panagia Chryseleousa Church
The Panagia Chryseleousa church was built in the 13th century and is of Byzantine architecture. In this church is the unique iconography of Christ in the Iordani River, completely naked with his legs slightly crossed in order to cover his male genitals.
Panagia Chrysoematousa Church
The Panagia Chrysoematousa Church began being built in 1924 and was completed in 1928. The church is called Chrysoematousa because it is a church women go to when they are menstruating. When women have a problem and their period does not stop flowing they go to this church for assistance. There is a red ribbon tied behind one of the icons of the Virgin Mary and they change this one with another one they buy. They then wear this ribbon for three days and their problem stops.
Saint George Museum
The coast of Alyki in Chloraka was a remote and deserted coast during the freedom war of 1955-59. This is why it was chosen as the point for the secret arrival of the leader Georgios Grivas Digenis and for the arrival of the first gun shipments. The area is a memorial location where the ship Agios Georgios which brought the gunpowder and guns is on display at a special museum.