Pera Pedi Village is located south of the Troodos Mountain Range , about 35 kilometres northwest of Limassol at an altitude of 770 metres. It is built on a wide straightening, surrounded by mountains with a height between 850 and 1000 metres. The village is crossed by the Krios River, a tributary of the Kouris River.

Pera Pedi has an annual rainfall of about 800mm, with vineyards, apple trees, pear trees and others being cultivated. It is one of the first villages, which cultivated apple trees, and it became known as an apple-producing village.

The village met many population increases and decreases during its long history. In 1881, the residents were 182 and increased to 249 in 1901, while in 1921 they increased to 347 and to 422 in 1946. Later on the village, as many other villages in the area were hit due to urbanism resulting in the decrease of 281 residents in 1960, to 217 in 1973 and to 130 in 1982. Today the population numbers are very reassuring, due to the improvement of the road network and the provision of many incentives, which resulted in the construction of 250 houses, creating continuous development and progress.

The name of the village is because it is built on a straightening even though it is located in a mountainous area.  The name Pedion – Pedi shows the antiquity of the area which must be placed during the Byzantine era. It is considered that the settlement existed even before the Frankish period. It is thought that Esienne de Lusignan (16th century) knew of the existence of the village and mentions it as the origin of Agia Mavri and her husband Timotheou.

One of the most impressive structures in the village is undoubtably the wine factory, which was originally built by the British on a manufactured straightening in the area of Pyrkovounou. It was made by limestone from the opposite hill. Today the factory is owned by KEO and takes in about three million kilos of black grapes from the surrounding area.

Another impressive contruction in the village is the traditional Watermill, which operated until the 1940’s and which has been declared as an ancient monument. Today it is owned by the Community Board of Pera Pedi and has been restored.

The village has a historic church of Agiou Nikolaou, which was built in 1796. Two mobile icons are kept in this church, one of the Virgin Mary dated to the 16th century, and one of Agiou Ioanni the Evangelist that is dated to 1550. A wooden box is also maintained which has the remains of the saints Agiou Spyridona, Agiou Neophytou and Agiou Phillipou.

Pera Pedi is one of the most beautiful villages in Cyprus, literally filled with greenery. It maintains the traditional mountain architecture to a large extent. Visitors can enjoy the coolness of the village in the main square. The idyllic environment is always combined with the sweet song of the nightingales who never leave Pera Pedi.

Pera Pedi Village, Limassol photos: 
pera pedi village
pera pedi village
  • pera pedi village
  • pera pedi limassol
  • pera pedi village cyprus
Pera Pedi Village, Limassol location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Pedoulas

Pedoulas is one of the most beautiful villages in Cyprus, which is surrounded by pine woods, cherry trees and lies in the Marathasa valley.I...

Agiou Onoufriou Chapel, Pedoulas

The Agiou Onoufriou Chapel is situated in the village of Pedoulas in the Nicosia district. More specifically it is located in the centre ...

Pedoulas Folkloric Museum

The Pedoulas Folkloric Museum is located in the village of Pedoulas in the Nicosia district. It is situated in the centre of the village ...

Panagia Vorini Chapel - Pedoulas

The Panagia Vorini Chapel is located in the Pedoulas village in the Nicosia district. It is situated outside the village, to the north. T...

Pedoulas Byzantine Museum

The Pedoulas Byzantine Museum is located in the village of Pedoulas in the Nicosia district. During the tenure of Morphou Bishop Neofytos...

Timios Stavros Chapel - Pedoulas

The Timios Stavros Chapel is located in the village of Pedoulas, in the Nicosia district. The church is situated at the top of the Fidkia...

Pages