Palaichori or Paleochori is a village in the geographical district of Pitsilia in Cyprus and is made up of two communities and two councils, the Palaichori of Nicosia and the Palaichori of Morphou.

According to Nearchos Klirides, Palaichori was formed from population groups which moved from the districts of Nicosia and Morphou seeking safety in mountain areas. The first population move occurred during the time of Theodosios A’ around 390 B.C and the second one occurred in 650 B.C which were periods of Arabic raids.

The names (Palio-chorio) and its antonym (Kalo-Chorio) appeared in Cyprus during the 5th and 6th centuries which was the changing point of Christianity. Simon Menardos mentions that the name Kalo Chorio was given to the village to forget the previous idololatric name. The name kalo and palio chorio was given to the village by fanatic Christians.

Palaichori Village photos: 
Palaichori Village location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Cyprus Symphony Orchestra Foundation

From the 1st of January 2007, the Cyprus Symphony Orchestra of Cyprus has been transformed into an independent institute which has taken ove...

Historical Memory Council of Freedom Fight EOKA

Foundation of the Council The Historical Memory Council of Freedom Fight of EOKA 1955-1959  was founded on the 6th of March by the ...

The Venetian Walls of Nicosia

The first walls which surrounded Nicosia during the 14th century were made by the Franks and covered a larger area than the previous Venetia...

Medieval Walls of Nicosia

The Medieval Walls of Nicosia are located in the town of Nicosia. The first walls which surrounded Nicosia during the 14th century were made...

Famagusta Gate

Famagusta Gate is the most splendid of all the gates of Venetian Nicosia. The particular gate opened the way towards the most important p...

Kyrenia Gate

The Kyrenia Gate is a gate at the Walls of Nicosia, located in the north Turkish occupied part of Nicosia in Cyprus. It was the gate whic...

Pages