The Agiou Lambrianou Cave is situated in the village of Emba in Paphos. It is now know exactly when Agios Lambrianos lived, and if the hagiographer Parthenios had not painted his icon during the end of the 18th or beginning of the 19the century, we would not have known his appearance.

It is possible that the saint lived the first years of his ascetic life in the Agiou Lambrianou Catacomb in Kato Paphos and then relocated to the cave in Emba. The saint is believed to cure all sort of dermatological diseases as well as headaches. Agios Lambrianos is also known as Agios Limbros in Emba and his cave is called “Cave of Ai Limbrou”. Water flows all year round from the cave, which is thought to stem from the village of Tsada. This water is considered to be the holy water of Agiou Lambrianou as it is believed that this clears away all dermatological problems.

What makes the cave special however , is the fact that visitors comes across beautiful stalactites and stalagmites which were formed millions of years ago. The cave is concisdered to be unique as the morphology of the ground creates awe for anyone who visits it. The length of the cave is very deep but at a point the cave becomes narrow and a person cannot fit through.

When the residents of Emba were in danger from the Sarakinians or the Turks, they would hide in the cave which until recently was covered by thick greenery. According to tradition, during one of the Sarakinian raids a sack with golden pounds was hidden in the cave. The person who had hid the pounds however was not a fair person and Saint Lambrianos did not let him find them again. It is believed that the sack is still hidden in the cave and no one has been able to find them.

 

Agiou Lambrianou Cave, Emba Village photos: 
agiou lambrianou cave
agiou lambrianou cave
  • agiou lambrianou cave
  • agiou lambrianou cave emba
  • agiou lambrianou emba
  • agiou lambrianou paphos
Agiou Lambrianou Cave, Emba Village location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Apostle Paul and Saint Helen the Martyr Chapel - Paphos

The Apostle Paul and Saint Helen the Martyr Chapel is a modern chapel located in the town of Paphos. It is a very small chapel of 56.0 sq...

Paphos Ancient Theatre

The Paphos Ancient Theatre, is located at the northeast corner of the ancient city in Paphos diagonally of the port. It was possibly buil...

Archangelos Michael Chapel, Chloraka

The Archangleos Michael Chapel is situated at the west part of the Chloraka village in the Paphos district. The chapel was on private proper...

Palia Ilektirki Cultural Centre (Old Powerhouse) - Paphos

Palia Ilektriki is an old powerhouse which has been transformed into a Cultural Centre by the Paphos Municipality.  The prolonged and n...

Paphos Old Town (Ktima)

Unlike the other towns in Cyprus, Paphos has two separate geographical locations that developed in different phases in history: Nea Paphos a...

Paphos Municipal Library

The Paphos Municipal Library was founded in 1946 , by the mayor of Paphos Christodoulo Galatopoulo (1943-1953), whose name was given to the ...

Pages