The church of Panagia Galaktotrofousa or "Παναγία η Γαλακτοτροφούσα" in Greek is located in the entrance of the Mathiatis village (Agia Varvara- Mathiatis Road) , in the Nicosia district  and is built on a small hill. The date of the construction remains unknown.

Under the church is a catacomb which is believed to have been used as a ceremonial area by the Catholics during the Turkish occupation. In the interior of the catacomb, an icon was found of the Virgin Mary. This is also the reason why the church was built and then dedicated to Panagia Galaktotrofousa. Holly water was also found inside the catacomb that ends at a tank built by the residents of the community in 1954.  The surrounding part of the church has been transformed into today’s Community cemetery.

According to the residents , during the older years when the mothers did not have milk to feed their babies they went to this church to pay to the Virgin Mary. The Virgin Mary heard their prayers and helped them feed their children. This is also how the church received the name Galaktotrofousa which means feed milk.

Panagia Galaktotrofousa Church photos: 
panagia galaktotrofousa
panagia galaktotrofousa
  • panagia galaktotrofousa
  • panagia galaktotrofousa mathiatis
  • panagia galaktotrofousa nicosia
Panagia Galaktotrofousa Church location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Lefkothea (Aetomoutti) Nature Trail

Location:Lythrodontas- Lefkara District: Nicosia Starting Point: Length: 1, 3 kilometres Time: 0, 5 hours hiking Difficulty...

Gialias River

The Gialias River is the second largest river in Cyprus. It has a length of 88 kilometres and flows from the Troodos Mountain Range and the ...

Agia Varvara, Nicosia

Agia Varvara is located about 22 kilometres south of the district of Nicosia and it is built at an altitude of 310 metres from the sea level...

Sia Mine

The Sia Mine is located on a small hill about 1 kilometre west of the Sia village, on the road which leads from Sia to the community of Math...

Pages