Panagia Podithou Church is situated near the village of Galata, in the mountains of the Troodos range.

The Church of Panagia Podithou as well as 9 other byzantine churches of the Troodos range, were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List for their significance.

The church was built in 1502, funded by Demetre de Coron (captain of the barony of Pentageia) and his wife Helen. It used to be the katholicon of the monastery located in the region which was also called Monastery of Panagia Podithou.

The monastery was in use until early 19th century when as other monasteries in Cyprus, fell into decline and after the events of 1821 was abandoned.

The church follows the single-aisle architecture type with a steep-pitched roof. A portico wad added later, surrounding the three sides of the church and is also sheltered from the roof which is made of flat tiles. In its interior the church is decorated with mural paintings, contemporary with the monument.

In particular, the paintings were made on the apse of the Holy Bema, on the two sides of the western pediment and on parts of the north and south walls. The donor of the church is also depicted as an old man with his wife, offering to the Virgin Mary a miniature model of the church. The style of the wall-paintings reveals characteristics of byzantine and western art (Italian Renaissance), and is known as 'Italobyzantine' style of painting.

Location: Galata, Troodos

Additional Information
- Operating period: All year round
- Tel: +357 22 922 394, +357 96 348 89

Panagia Podithou Church - Galata photos: 
Panagia Podithou church
Panagia Podithou church
  • Panagia Podithou church
  • Panagia Podithou church Cyprus
  • Church of Panagia Podithou
Panagia Podithou Church - Galata video: 
Panagia Podithou Church - Galata location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Petra tou Antrogynou, Old Kakopetria

Petra tou Antrogynou or Stone of the married couple is located in Old Kakopetria in the Nicosia district and more specifically it is si...

Palia Kakopetria - Old Kakopetria

Old Kakopetria is the most graphic and beautiful part in the village of Kakopetria in the Nicosia  district. Today it is forms the west...

Panagia Theotokos Chapel, Kakopetria

The Panagia Theotokos Chapel is situated in the entrance of the village of Kakopetria in the Nicosia district. It is a small chapel which se...

Kakopetria

Kakopetria is a very beautiful village which is located in Cyprus, about 55 kilometers southwest of the Nicosia district and it faces toward...

Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis Church - Kakopetria

Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis Church or Saint Nicholas of the Roof is situated in the village of Kakopetria in the Troodos mountain range, in th...

Korakou Village

Korakou was a mixed village of the Nicosia district until 1964 and later it became a Greek only village. It is located in the geographical a...

Pages